Currently out of stock - Ships within 5-7 business days
There is a quality in the music of the Celtic and Gaelic people that touches something deep inside us. It could be the home-spun folk rhythms that speak of good times with close friends. It could be the sound of a people who have been defined by dispossession, a sense of yearning for a homeland that can never be theirs. Or perhaps it is purely musical, a tradition whose core notes resound with the sound of the human spirit.
Catherine Strutt explores these themes on her new album, No Wind at the Window. Including well-known pieces like 'Amazing Grace', 'Abide With Me' and 'Morning Has Broken', to obscure tunes from a small Gaelic hymnbook from 1935, called simply An Laoidheadair (The Hymnal), given to Catherine by a friend as she embarked on this incredibly personal journey.
"For as long I can remember," says Catherine, "My mother has played the harmonium at the local Anglican church. It was there that I encountered the great tunes of the Welsh and English hymn writers, and from this first early exposure, the hymns tunes have been stored deep inside my memory, and never forgotten."
Catherine is considered to be one of the finest piano players of traditional Scottish dance music in the world today. She is well respected as an innovative and sensitive natural dance and concert musician and is a grapheme synaesthete, an individual who experiences numbers and letters in colour.
Using this phenomenon as a tool, Catherine plays and records entirely by ear. Her intuitive sense of rhythm and colour are incomparable and she continues to be an inspiration, teacher and mentor to many of Australia's Scottish-style pianists.
Title: No Wind At The Window - Celtic and Gaelic Sacred Melodies
Release Date: 09 Nov 2018
Artist: Catherine Strutt
Catalogue No: 4817680
1. All Through the Night (Ar hyd y nos)
2. I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say (Kingsfold)
3. How Are Thy Servants Blest, O Lord (Kilmarnock)
4. No Wind at the Window (Columcille)
5. There Is Sweet Rejoicing on the Hill of Paradise (Bearnaraidh) / Sion Sings with Sheer Sweetness (Sion)
6. Oh, This is the Story That Will Gladden My Heart (So an sgeul)
7. Lord, Hear My Praying (Lara)
8. Country Carol (The Oxen)
9. God Is Love, Let Heaven Adore Him (Abbot's Leigh)
10. Morning Has Broken (Bunessan)
11. Hail the Day That Sees Him Rise (Llanfair)
12. O Crucified Redeemer (Llangloffan)
13. Christ Be My Leader by Night as by Day (Bonnie George Campbell)
14. Abide with Me (Eventide)
15. Sussex Carol
16. Love Divine, All Loves Excelling (Blaenwern)
17. Precious Is Your Grace to Us (Tigh-an-Easa)
18. God of Jeremiah (Kelvin Grove)
19. Amazing Grace (New Britain)
20. O for a Closer Walk with God (Caithness)
|Help you find exactly what you are looking for, even if you aren't sure yourself!|
|Track down the hard to find as quickly as possible - if it's available, we will get it!|
|Deliver fast and friendly service to every customer.|
|Provide you with the hottest, the latest and a great range.|
|And if you're not satisified, you can exchange or with a receipt, get your money back - no questions asked!|