Vinyl | Country | 13 Jul 2018
Back Roads and Abandoned Motels is The Jayhawks' tenth studio album and first for Legacy Recordings.
Produced by Gary Louris, John Jackson and Ed Ackerson at Flowers Studio, Minneapolis, Back Roads and Abandoned Motels sets nine songs co-written by Louris with other artists alongside two of Gary's latest compositions.
Back Roads and Abandoned Motels finds the current incarnation of The Jayhawks--Louris (vocals, acoustic and electric guitars), Marc Perlman (bass), Tim O'Reagan (vocals, drums, percussion), Karen Grotberg (vocals, piano, keyboards), John Jackson (mandolin, violin, acoustic guitar)--expanding the group's repertoire with 11 new performances of Gary's songs. Karen and Tim each sing lead on two songs on the album. Tim performs "Gonna Be a Darkness" and "Long Time Ago" while Karen takes lead vocals (for the first time on a Jayhawks album) on the opener, "Come Cryin' to Me (featuring a soulful horn section arranged by David Ralicke) and on "El Dorado.
Destined to become a classic in The Jayhawks' catalog, the Back Roads and Abandoned Motels setlist of songs co-written by Louris includes "Come Cryin' to Me" (originally released on Natalie Maines' Mother in 2013); "Everybody Knows" and "Bitter End" (released on Dixie Chicks' Taking The Long Way in 2006); "Gonna Be a Darkness" (written and performed by Louris and Jakob Dylan for True Blood: Music From The HBO Original Series - Volume 3 in 2011); "Need You Tonight" (originally released on Scott Thomas' Matson Tweed in 2015); "El Dorado" (originally released on Carrie Rodriguez' She Ain't Me in 2008); "Bird Never Flies" (originally released on Ari Hest's The Break-In in 2007); "Backwards Women" (written with Wild Feathers but never recorded) and "Long Time Ago" (written with Emerson Hart of Tonic but never recorded).
Title: Back Roads and Abandoned Motels
Release Date: 13 Jul 2018
Artist: The Jayhawks
Catalogue No: 19075841411
1. Come Cryin' To Me (Gary Louris, Natalie Maines, Martie Maguire, Emily Robison)
2. Everybody Knows (Gary Louris, Natalie Maines, Emily Robison, Martie Maguire)
3. Gonna Be A Darkness (Jakob Dylan, Gary Louris)
4. Bitter End (Emily Robison, Natalie Maines, Gary Louris, Martie Maguire)
5. Backwards Women (Gary Louris, Joel King, Taylor Burns, Ricky Young)
6. Long Time Ago (Emerson Hart, Gary Louris)
1. Need You Tonight (Scott Thomas, Gary Louris, Kristen Hall)
2. El Dorado (Carrie Rodriguez, Gary Louris, Malcolm Burn, Sandra Jennifer (Sandrine) Daniels)
3. Bird Never Flies (Ari Hest, Gary Louris)
4. Carry You To Safety (Gary Louris)
5. Leaving Detroit (Gary Louris)